[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Electronics on an '88 325iS

I just bought an '88 325iS and I need some help diagnosing a problem
before I break down and go to my local dealer.

The inspection light stays on and occassionally will switch from
inspection to oil service but only for a few seconds.  Research tells
me that this is probably the batteries on the SI board and that's easy
enough to fix.  However, I am also having problems with the on board
trip computer.  The MPG, MPH, Avg MPH etc. will not display anything
except dashes.  The timer, clock and date functions work fine, but
nothing else.  Would the SI board problem cause this??  The MPG gauge
on the insturment panel seems to be working fine, and I have not
experienced any of the weird problems with the tach or any of the other
gauges in the instument cluster.

Additionally, I get a random "check brake lights" light every once in a
while.  The lights themselves are in perfect working order, but I
continue to get this indicator.  I had one person tell me that the SI
board will also cause this.

Any experience or thoughts people can share are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy Abernathy