[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: BMW Break-In Period

I'm not a mechanic, but I am a machinist, so I feel at least somewhat
qualified to say that most types of new machinery require some sort of
break-in.  Automobile engine components (most, not just BMW) are
machined to incredibly close tolerances and are designed to complete the
process of near-perfect part-mating (esp. pistons/cylinders and
bearings/journals) during the first few weeks of service.
Personally, I believe that the most crucial period is the first few
hundred miles where small metal chips will be running around your engine
grinding things up until they get caught in the oil filter.  I learned
from my father to change the oil/filter after 500mi and again at 1000mi
in a new engine and he and I have both had great success: no blow-by,
smoke, or failures of any kind for at least the first two or
three hundred thousand miles with several different types of cars,
including BMW.
I'm sure you're dying to go racing (even if it's to the grocery store)
in your new M3 (I would be!), but if you plan on keeping the car for a
while I think you'll be rewarded with a smoother, more efficient,
longer-lasting engine if you take the time to do this right.

Just my $1.47 worth (adjusted for inflation).

D. Stephen Metz
Two (2) Alpine White 318ti's
Portland, OR