[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: keyless entry

Rich,< cimor@domain.elided>

	You wrote:
>> I'm thinking of adding the keyless entry system to my 328is. The dealer
will sell and install it for around $550.00. Has anyone installed the
system themselves, and what is involved?
<<
	I have an '88 E28 ///M5, which is not prewired, using the $100 keyless
unit from Hoffman Automotive Accessories {505.242.2547
http://members.aol.com/autoloc123}, I had to get a source of switched 12v power
to the black box (it is actually) and interconnect to the lock and unlock wires
of the trunk actuator and to ground.  I pulled switched 12v from the harness
connector under my rear seat that powers the fuel pump, and ran the wire into
the trunk.  Having done it, it would take about 2 hours, doing a neat job.  The
first time it probably took that long just to drink my coffee and decide exactly
where to place it.  This is not a factory unit but the quality is high, and the
cost.
	If you want, call me or e-mail for more info.  I can also fax you the
instructions that came with the unit.  It is a nice feature.  I also installed
the ignition sense feature, which locks the doors when you turn the car on and
opens them when you turn the car off.  The emergency override still functions
properly.

Regards,
Joe Fahy
'88 ///M5