[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

K&N Cone Air Filters

I'm new to the list, but I figured I'd drop my two cents on the current
air filter debate. I have the Kirban Performance Products K&N Open
Element Air Filter installed on my 1983 533i, along with a variable
pressure fuel regulator (adjusted for about 4psi over stock). I have to
say that the combination makes the car seem happier - no conclusive dyno
evidence or anything like that, but merely seat-of-the-pants feel.
Whether this is the result of one or both modifications complementing
each other, I don't know.

As far as hot engine bay air vs. cool outside air, the filter sits about
no more than a foot from the hole in the back of the right side plate
behind the headlights where the original intake tubing started, so I
imagine that some cooler air still flows into the system. I have
contemplated fabricating an aluminum heat shield to block the underside
of the filter from exhaust manifold-generated heat, but have yet to come
up with a decent design.

Just my experience. YMMV.

- -AEG
74 2002 (seriously fast)