[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E34> re: Leather Seats, again.

>I have been trying for over a month to find out what parts of the seats,
>front and rear, in my 1992 525i are leather and what parts are not. I have had
>several replies, but all differed and none were from a fellow owner of a
>92 >525i with a leather interior who could speak with authority.

I can speak with authority even on subjects about which I know nothing.

>I finally called, then wrote, BMW of NA. They called back and first said
>none of the seats were leather; the Germans shipped only vinyl seats that year.
>When I called them back and read from them the original window sticker,
>"upholstery: parchment leather" and "leather upholstery, $1,200", they
>said >they checked with "the technicians" and they didn't know which parts
>were >leather and which were not. Big help!

The $1200 leather option gets you leather seats with top and bottom covers
in leather.  The hard-shell back cover is vinyl but the rear map pocket in
the seat back is leather.  You also have a full leather rear seat, back and
bottom and center armrest. In addition the handbrake boot and handle are
leather (as is the steering wheel but I wouldn't put anything on that, or
not too much).

The $2040 Wood & Leather package adds the wood trim and covers the door
armrests/pulls in leather.

> I do not ask out of idle curiosity: one of the BMW FAQ cautions against
>using cleaners/conditioners designed for leather on vinyl and vice-versa.
>I >have Lexol cleaner and conditioner for the leather and Vinylex for the
>vinyl.
> BobG

You are using Zymol Treat for the leather and Vinyl for the rest, aren't you?

Phil Marx    BMWCCA #6021 BMWMOA #2024 (804) 293-8269    fax (804) 293-0817
Bavarian Motor Warehouse, Inc.         Check out our Web page: See our 1600
416 W. Main St.                        Cabriolet and other lovely BMWs.
Charlottesville, VA.  22903            http://www.comet.chv.va.us/bav/