[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re:318 questions (Rubber)

>From: Raj_Wallace@domain.elided

[snip]

>First:  Oil changes!  Is it alright to go to a Jiffy Lube or
>some other 15 minute place, or is this something I must do
>at the dealer?  I haven't called a dealer to get a price,
>but do they charge a lot more at a dealer?

If you do not plan on driving the car hard, I would still stay away from the
quicky oil changes.
Most dealers will be competitive in oil change pricing and you get people
who Know what to use (OEM) filter and what to look for for preventive
maintenance. (Plus, you don't get an 18 yr old kid bringing your air filter
into the waiting room and saying "I would probably replace these with your
blades . . .)

[snip]

. . . I have seen Sumitomo's on the tirerack for $142 which again are pretty
>much the cheapos.

Yes, Sumitomos are inexpensive. Cheap is for other tires. I have been
driving BMWs for the past 9 years and was fed up with replacing the OEM type
rubber. I had a 525 with the stock 15" with the Sumitomos for the winter
(Indiana). I then put the high end sumitomos on my 17" blades (235-45-17).
These were good tires. They had great disbursement of water and held in the
corners. They were about $150 each. Sumitomo, if I am correct, owns Dunlop.
Look at the compound and tread design of the DM40.
Paul G Smith
Ontario Systems Corporation
Manager
New Business Development