[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E30> RE: rear shelf panel bolt holes

Evan Arnerich writes:

While I had the fiber board rear shelf out (for new rear speakers), I  =20
noticed
there are three threaded holes in the metal panel beneath the fiber  =20
board. One
of the bolt holes is in the middle, with another two positioned directly
behind the driver and front seat passenger, respectively. Curiously,  =20
these
holes don't seem to be threaded for metric bolts (none of my available M8
bolts
fit), but a 5/16" SAE bolt fits perfectly.

Does anyone have any reasonable theories for the purpose of these? Head
restraints? Shoulder harness? IMHO they're a little small for any of  =20
these.

curious Evan
'87 325

On my 1984 325e there is only one like this that I can remember. I  =20
believe it is used to hold a plastic clip that holds the lap seat belt  =20
 along the vertical seat cushion for the occupant of the middle of the  =20
back seat.  This belt (like mine) is now probably draped over the lower  =20
back seat cushion.  Look for the hole in the fiber panel and the 'swirl'  =20
marks in the carpet on the exposed side of the panel.
Hope this helps.

Jeff Schnellinger
1984 325e ~160 kmi  ( broken speedo wires somewhere)
    Jeff Schnellinger (jms@domain.elided)   =20
             Project Engineer         =20
    Kistler Instrument Corporation, USA    =20