[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Monroe Sensimatics

>From: Richard Cartiledge <richard.cartledge@domain.elided>
>Date: 27 Aug 96 11:43:13 +0000
>Subject: Monroe Sensimatic Shocks?
>
>I read in the latest copy of BMW Car (UK Magazine) that Monroe now produc=
>e the 'first intelligent aftermarket shock absorber' the shock absorber i=
>s said to 'detect changes in road conditions and driving charateristics a=
>nd adjust the damping accordingly'.=20

Well this is great marketing speak for a simple, but apparantly succesful,
modification. Basically the shock is wider in the centre making more room
for the fluid to pass by. This gives a softer ride in the normal position
e.g. trundling through town. The rest of the shock is narrower making the
shock stiffer e.g. at speed.

>This is basically all the article said, has anyone any experience of this=
>?=20

I have no experience of this but CCC tested them and where impressed but
this was against worn shocks and against Monroes own ordinary shocks.

>I always considered Monroe to be at the budget end of the suspension mark=
>et?

Well in a recent article in Car (I think) Peugot claimed that part of their
success was special shocks with three (? hazy memory) different rates under
differing circumstances.

I like the Monroe idea, a simple mechanical solution, but am wary that in
general I wouldn't buy Monroe due to their normal cheapness. When my shocks
need doing I will consider the Sensimatics though.

Finally are you aware of Leda? They were selling shocks with a three
position setting via a stepper motor. They sell in pairs and if I
remember correctly their shocks have ten settings and you can chose
any three to be selected by the motor. I don't know if you can change
the three you select after fitting or whether or not it's a factory
only job.