[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E36 tramlining, old summary.

Hi Folks,

  for those of you suffering from tramlining this is a summary
of previous list conversations.

1) Early E36's seem prone to this problem.
2) VERY accurate 4-wheel suspension alignment helps but is expensive.
3) Wider wheels nearly always use smaller offsets, these exaggerate
   the problem.
4) Tyres seem to have a big factor in starting/stopping the problem.

These are guidelines that make it more or less likely you will suffer
this problem but are not gaurentees, luck seems the main factor. There
wasn't enough answers to be sure about tires but I changed to 40mm
offset 17 inch wheels and instead of getting worse it got much better.
I used Pirelli P7000's and I notice someone else has found these
excellent tyres for this problem. Finally if you are desperate you
can fit E30 M3 eccentric bushes that give greater castor, the cost
is about 170 pounds in the UK.