'84 VW GTI
'92 325i

Here it is:

*** Reply to note of 08/26/96 16:58
From: Roy O. Hopkins, MEL  CMO, E&PMD, Mat'l Eng. Lab, 5/23, KP (72029)

Chris - feel free to forward to the net...
this is basically what has been done to Danielle's car, and I have
4 others out there with the conversion...

Power is more like 160 to 165 hp, a 325i is faster, the big problem
is lack of flow with the small intake runners and valves.  A free
flow exhaust did not help, neither did a big throttle body.

Also needed: change the Differential gearing - use a 3:73 for good
all around performance.

I have yet to find a BMW cast 2.7 liter crank break, they are
high quality ductile iron, similar to that used in 400 hp
Chevy motors with no problem.

There is a trick cylinder head that can be used, a 323 Euro
from 84 on E-30.  Big valves and small combustion chamber...
I have one of these available.

Unless you build a radical motor, I would not use a Shrick cam,
the 325i gives better lower end, and the small valves in the
eta head would limit the available power high in rev range.
The power seems to fall off at about 5800 rpm in these conversions.

In conclusion, it a nice, cheap upgrade for a 325e if a new motor
is not available.