[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

StonGard update: self-installation

As mentioned in earlier posts, I had a partial StonGard installation
performed by StonGard reps (they didn't have a pattern for the
96 M3 Lux spoiler until i brought my car to LA for a 'fitting').
After finally receiving the spoiler piece and emboldened by having
watched a training session for installers, I decided to attach the
spoiler piece myself and avoid another trip to LA- where in fact,
newbie installers are now stationed.

The spoiler piece came with a 1-page instruction sheet, plastic
'scraper' tool with teflon-impregnated sheath (another 3M product)
and the pen-like tool with a retractable, sharp pin. I also had
a pen-like razor tool and a spray bottle with 25% isopropanol
(rubbing alcohol). The instructions were brief and probably not
adequate to really guide the uninitiated on the installation.
Registration of the 8 mil StonGard film to the body parts is
the most important. This required multiple, temporary attachments
and re-attachments. The film wants to stick to whatever is around;
this includes body panels and itself.

The M3 Lux spoiler is a difficult piece to install because of multiple
planes around the fog-lights and brake duct. I ended up having to
separate the lower straight section between the 2 brake ducts from
the main piece. This ended up making 1 large piece and a ~2" x 24"
straight section that runs below the horizontal slats of the Lux
spoiler. The reason for having to cut the film (with dull-tipped
scissors) was because i had partially violated rule #1- work from
the center out. I had done so at the very top of the spoiler, but
had then worked towards the sides and then down to the fog-lights
and brake-ducts. Wrongo- i should have done the lower straight
section immediately after the top-middle. A second pair of hands
could have held the sides out while I aligned the lower straight
section, but i did this alone and it was easier to do the top
side regions. Oh well, i have 2 small vertical seams below the
slats; they're not very visible.

There are some 'imperfections' the morning after. StonGard says
these will 'heal' in about 2 weeks; sooner if left out in the sun.
The 'imperfections' that StonGard reps left in my hood, mirror
and fender pieces have largely disappeared. The 'imperfections'
are small fluid bubbles that were missed during the planing process
or tiny puncture marks after piercing the film to release tiny air
bubbles. Many of these can be avoided by detaching, spraying heavily
and then reattaching; but after 2 hrs of this, one's esthetic standards
relax somewhat. In any event, the appearance of fully cured StonGard
film installed by StonGard reps is not as smooth as paint. Some regions
where there was heavy planing to stretch the film over planar junctions
show 'stretch' marks upon close inspection. I tried to avoid heavy
planing but time will tell if i was any more successful.

Tidbits- i did not use a wax remover before installation which is
contrary to the written instructions (the StonGard reps in LA did
remove wax either). Latex gloves were worn to prevent fingerprints
on the adhesive. Deaeration of the solution was pointless. The
sprayer just adds back air, just spray heavily to fully wet the
film and car parts.

The bottom line: if you do it yourself, have a second pair of hands
around for the registration process.

dan

96 M3 Lux, BostonGreen/Modena, Dinan airbox/exhaust, snorkel, RD bars
87 Dinan 325i 2.8L Stroker and many mods, 58k miles, 18k on Stroker,
   for sale: http://dsrna.agi.org/dinan325i.html