[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: <E36> 1997 changes and Canadian specs

Tom wrote:
>Keep in mind that the above information applies largely to German spec
>1997 E36's.  In fact, '96 U.S. E36's, and 328's inparticular, already have
>ALL,
>the above features -- all except for the steering wheel and the rear
>passenger
>reading lights -- which may NEVER come to American shores anyway.
>
>The Euro 328i's [and to some degree Canadian 328i] also get a number of other
>things as well like REAL glass headlight covers -w- elipisoids & washers,
>tilt steering wheel [thank Nader for killing ours], limited slip as an option
>and a few other goodies.

I can speak for Canadian 328i's:

Tilt steering:  yes.
Ellipsoid lights with real glass: no (same sh*tty ones as the US).
headlight washers:  yes, if you order the inclement weather package which
also includes heated seats.
Limited-slip diff:  optional but I hear it is now discontinued in favour of
ASC+T

Other goodies include cloth interior as standard equipment on the sedan (but
leather is standard on the coupe), standard ski bag (unless you take the
fold-down rear seat option), body-coloured rockers and bumpers are optional,
not standard, heated mirrors, door locks and washer jets standard, OBC
optional (but system function check computer standard).  As for the rest, I
believe it is exactly like the US model, including the engine, as we get the
cast iron block/alloy head version, not the all-aluminium version in Europe
(sulfur in gas problems?).

And, oh yes, of course we've had daytime running lights as standard for some
years now.  I think they are great, all the doomsday stories you hear in the
US are patently false.  They are lifesavers, and no, motorcyclists aren't at
a disadvantage.  You see a light, and you know there's a vehicle out there,
regardless of whether it is a motorbike, car or truck.

Mike Gammon
1996 328i 5-speed, Arctic Silver, body colour rockers/bumpers, LSD,
inclement weather package, anthracite cloth, CD, Alarm.