[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Laguna Seca on Monday-Ferraris/Club race/ IMSA Pros.

Hi folks-

As you know from previous posts, the Historic Races at Laguna Sea was a
very exciting event.  The only thing that would have made it better
would be if John Brownie from Seattle had been there and written about
it.  I won't recap Saturday and Sunday. Monday was an equally fun day.
The Ferrari club had the track and allowed the BMW CIA to hold a club
race.  This was very generous of the FOCI.  They gave up a lot of track
time to allow this.  I didn't do the club race, however, I did get to
run with the Ferraris throughout the day.

The morning started out harmless enough with your standard drivers
meeting talk.  'Keep it safe, check the ego at the gate, let faster cars
by (the Testers drivers effectively filtered this one out), watch the
corner workers,' etc.  They even had THREE instructors.  For 25 cars per
group.  (the CIA has 1 per student).  Inexperienced drivers were
'encouraged' to take advantage of them.  You can probably imagine the
type of day it was.  The run sessions were like Green Flag Track days,
but you're running with guys that can afford to fix their cars if you
swap door handles.  Even though there were no car-car incidents, I would
think twice before running in the Red group with a four setae.  The
Testis in the blue group didn't appreciate a four setae passing them;
the egos have got be higher in the Red group, where passing is allowed
everywhere but turn 11.  Passing a Testers on the track is like getting
around a mobile version of the Great Wall of China.

With a 348, or 355, you only have one problem:  their car is faster than
yours (HP to weight, that is).  OK... you can fix that by holding back
on entering a turn, then jumping hard on the gas just before the apex
and 'Wa-La': your car is faster and you can get around them.  With a
Testie, the problem is two fold:  not only is that BB 512 faster than
your car, getting ALL THE WAY AROUND takes time.  You jump on the gas,
exit the turn and by the time you've moved over two time zones to pass
him, his RPMs have climbed toward his ego and he' gone.  Bottom line:  I
need a supercharger.  just kidding.  It actually was quite a fun day.
I'm sure they didn't see me back there.  You can only be in one mirror
at a time on those cars.  ;-)

Besides running around the track, it was great watching a BMW CCA Club
Race.  Boy those guys move.  Unfortunately for Clint DeWitt, he had
power problems and had to bring it in after 1 lap.  TC Kline had it
together with lap times of 1:47:50 to 1:49:00.  Not bad.  He won his
class, of course.

The only drawback was that the race finished under yellow.  An E30 early
apexed turn 4 (some of you know where I'm going with this), got two
wheels off the left side (a few more know where I'm going), and then
tried to get back on the track too quickly (now the driver knows where
I'm going with this).  The result is the front tire catches a grippy
surface first, the back end has no traction and all of a sudden his back
end is sliding wide and he's going into the inside tire wall.  OUCH!
That hurt.

Lesson-  If you get two wheels off the track, leave them off.  Slow
down, and GENTLY ease the car back on the track at a lower speed.  When
you come back on the car will JUMP on the track when the tires hit the
pavement.  (I don't know about you guys, but watching race cars crash no
longer brings the same excitement as boxing.  I feel their pain.  And
with boxing... well... I'm never getting into a ring, so I still kinda
chuckle when Mikey lays a mitten on some poor sap.)

Also, Pete Halsmer and Billy (??) two of PTGs IMSA GTS-2 drivers were on
hand, giving joy rides in the 97 M3 show cars (They weren't in show
condition Monday night).  The two-door (yellow) would take a driver and
passenger, while the four-door (blue) took a driver and THREE
passengers.  While I didn't get a chance to ride with them, it looked
quite fun.  Four people in an M3, sliding out of turn 11 sideways, and
doing laps at 1:52- 1:54.  ON STREET TIRES.  That's why those guys get
paid the big bucks.

For those heading to Laguna in November with the ACA, the track is in
great shape.  Now there's one surface instead of the four- five
different surfaces they had before.  It's a combination of pavement and
old tires.  Very high tech and very grippy.  See you there.

- -Richard Biscevic
95 //M3