[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Whistling noise

I have a possible solution to the whistling noises I and other BMW
owners have written about on the digest. The whistling in my '96 328i
was particularly bad today (a hot sunny day, which is when it usually
happens after sitting in the
sun for a while) so I took it to the dealer. Finally (after a few
previous visits where nothing happened) the noise occurred while a
mechanic was in the car. The mechanic couldn't pinpoint the noise while
sitting in the car--he seemed to hear it from a number of sources. So he
took the car into the shop and blasted the windshield with air, which
duplicated the problem. According to the mechanic, this indicates a
problem with the windshield seal letting air in. He says the problem is
likely a faulty "bead" that is supposed to prevent air infiltration
around the windshield. They are going to remove the windshield and
replace the bead, apparently a two-day job because the car can't be
driven until the adhesive sets. Apparently it is also difficult to
remove the windshield without breaking it, so depending on how
successful they are it may also require a new windshield. Obviously I
don't know if this is going to work, since it won't be done until next
week. But they seem sure this is the source of the problem

David Toole