[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Is OBC retrofit possible?

     An update on my original question which was:

     I have a '90 325iX without an OBC (just the clock/thermometer).
     Is it possible to retrofit an OBC on this vehicle?
     How much $$ and is it worth it (open door policy for subjectivity)?

     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     E-mail direct reply summary:

     1 wanting me to relay information if I found out how to do it.
     0 helpful.

     ~~~~~

     Local dealer response (Sandia BMW, Abq., NM):

     Service mgr. 'thinks' that the wiring harness is different.
     Parts says the wiring harness is the same.
     Mechanic thinks harness is different.
     Nobody is sure of anything.

     ~~~~~

     BMW CCA Tech. Advisors:

     One thinks I need a feeder harness, and OBC control relay, as well as
     the readout... but not sure.
     Another advisor suggested I check out a junkyard OBC equipped vehicle.
     Good suggestion, but not practical for me. And of course he added the
     refrain "...not sure."

     ~~~~~

     Mail order used parts (Vines):

     "Thinks it'll just swap right out."

     ~~~~~

     The Digest:

     I'm far behind in my reading so an answer may be waiting (my
     apoloogies). If someone did reply to the digest, then they should have
     responded directly to author/sender (always a good idea).

     ~~~~~

     Any 'lurkers' out there able to shed some light?

     Barry Ritchey
     '90 325iX
     mbritch@domain.elided