[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E36: CD player on non-prewired car

Hi,
There's been some discussion on how to add a CD player to a non-prewired
E36.  Here's what I've found:
Some of the early E36s are not prewired for CD.  Mine was manufactured
10/91 and is not wired.  I believe that all 93 and up models are prewired.

I was told by a stereo shop that an adapter (brand name Blitz) would
adapt from the BMW head unit to the Pioneer CD player.  They also said
that the adapter would plug directly into the head unit, and then
I could use the Pioneer wire to go the trunk.

Not entirely true.

The Blitz adapter (and others) plug into the BMW data cable, NOT the head
unit.  The socket on the head unit is about .5 in square; the connector
at the end of the data cable is about .5" by 2".

So, if your car is not pre-wired, you will need to get a data cable.
The part number is 65-12-8-350-495.  It costs about $100, +-$15.  This is
available only from BMW.  Once you have this cable, the adapter connects
from the cable to the CD changer.

Had I known this, I would have bargained this with the dealer from whom
I purchased the car.  So if you are getting a 92 E36 from a dealer, get
him to throw in the data cable and installation.

Greg Steinke
gregs@domain.elided