[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 328i Whistling

Carlos Morales talks about his 328i whistling problem:

"...It seems to happen at about 75+ mph.  I've tried opening closing
all the windows, moving the sunroof around, turning the AC/blower
off.  I suspect it is wind related, as it goes away when I slow
down under a certain speed, and picks up again as I accelerate.
Any ideas?  Will the dealer be able to do anything about it?..."

I missed the original post from Carlos, but I have a whistling problem
with my 96 328i. Here's the partial text of a message I posted on the
matter a few weeks ago. I still haven't been able to figure out what it
is. (Carlos: If you read this please e-mail me; I don't have your e-mail
address. I'd be interested to know if you had any luck with your
dealer):

Somewhere around 115-140 km/hr my car  often starts whistling. It goes
on for 5-30 seconds and then subsides. To make matters worse, the sound
is intermittent.
   It sounds like a loud wind whistle, but since it's coming from the
middle or passenger areas of the car I can't pinpoint it while driving.
Of course, when I took it to the dealer today, it didn't happen, even
though the noise was there 10 minutes earlier. Although the car is three
months old, the problem didn't start until three days ago.
   Oddly, it happens after the car has been sitting or driving in the
hot sun, and only after the car has been stopped for a while and then
quickly accelarates (for example, the on-ramp on a highway). It happens
with A/C on or off, with the circulation fan on or off and with the
recirculating feature on or off. It isn't likely to be a window seal
because I have experimented with opening and closing each window and the
sunroof while the noise happens.

David Toole