[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Monterey Historics and BMW!!!!!!

WOW!
What a weekend! OK, so I missed the first couple of days...I arrived in tin
time for the Friday evening BMW-NA dinner reception. Big tent. A handfull
of very cool cars (Gawd, the 507 is beautiful). Several (many) hundred(s)
of the BMW faithful, gathered under the tent for dinner. The longest line
for a mediochre dinner for more money than I've ever seen.

BMW has on hand a large number of special folks, including top brass,
special engineers, and awe-inspiring drivers. All of whom seem to have a
good story about at least one of the others, maybe all of them...

Best moment of the night (Weekend? YEAR??) The owner of a beautiful 507
meeting (correct me if I heard this wrong) the gentleman who originally
designed the car. The designer opens the glovebox of the 507, grabs a felt
pen, and actually SIGNS the car he designed!!!

WHOA! Call my insurance agent and bump the policy!

Keep in mind... BMW only built 252 of these beauties... How much more is
one worth if signed by the designer???? I don't want to think about it, but
the moment brought tears to the eyes of more than a few of us who saw this
WAY cool thing happen.

We also watched a handfull of folks pull an Isetta from the rear of a
pickup truck and drop it on the lawn at the reception. Go get 'em, Isettas!

And then we went to the track....

On Saturday, the BMW corral had something on the order of **700** cars
parked inside. If we add the Race cars brought by BMW and the Independents,
and the huge number of Bimmers (and Beamers) parked outside the corral, I'd
bet there were over a thousand BMWs at the track on Saturday.

BMW brought a LOT of cool cars. From the 320 "Flying bricks" to the CSL's,
to the McLaren F1, It was awesome. Yeah, the F1 was the sled du jour....
Should I mention the Formula 2 BMW thast nearly kicked F1 butt on Sunday?
(Steve Soper Driving to 2nd place) The Art cars out there racing with the
rest of them...
A parade of BMWs that went all the way around the track twice? At the same time?
One of the Ford GT-40s spinning in turn 2. The Porsche Carrera-6 spinning
not once, but twice at the same turn. One of the two Veritas retiring with
a fuel leak at the carbs. One of the Factory 320 cars spinning in his own
fuel overflow.
Half a dozen cars worth half-a million each going off into the dirt at the
new turn 11.
Three Porsche RSK's running a half a lap ahead of anyone else in their
session, and still having a bunch of lead changes.  WOW, What great racing.

More comments later.... Time to catch up on some well-lost sleep!

        -Loren-
   Loren Luke, SqueezeBox Consulting: Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA #91000
        1990 M3, Arrest-Me-Red --> www.squeezebox.com/car.html 60,000 Miles
              1985 325e (Dinanized) 206,000 miles (1.06 Light-seconds) For Sale!
                                                   ( OO====00=M3=OO )
SqueezeBox does Digital Video Capture & Compression for CD & Web producers