[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sump cage strength

> Hi gang. I have just come back from one of my clients, and am very, very,
> very upset. On my way here, I saw half-a-brick in the middle of my lane, but
> I couldn't swerve. My car (E30 323/325) has been lowered to about 2in
> !!!!!!( on the sump cover). I screamed and braked as I headed towards the
> half-brick, and I heard a HUGE bang as my car bounced when it hit the brick.

Some advice a little late.  When you brake hard your car will ride even
lower than normal.  If you know you aren't going to get stopped in time
to miss something you can't dodge try to get off the brakes just before
hitting the debris.  With some luck and bad shocks, you may even get a
little extra clearance from rebound.  Also, you may want to try to take
things like this a little off center and closer to the wheels where
there is a little extra clearance on some cars and at the very least,
things are easier to replace and cheaper.
I once got rid of a pesky tailgater by intentionally driving over a
cinder block in the road that I could easily have dodged and watching it
take out his car very effectively.  We were the ONLY two cars on three
lanes of 95 South at the time and he elected to tailgate me in my big
Bronco.
- --
Pat Donahue
Vienna, VA