[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E36 M3> Paint protection, bras, clear film (long)

Bob Sawyer inquired paint protection using a clear 3M film
as a clear bra. Chris Sawwa mentioned StonGard and raised
some questions.

I was going to wait until my complete StonGard installation
was complete before writing about this product. About 3 wks
ago, i contacted StonGard after hearing about their product
on this list. Since they did not have a 96 M3 Lux spoiler
pattern, i went to LA to get a partial installation while
they took a pattern from my front spoiler. I spent the better
part of a morning meeting StonGard reps and watching the
installation on my car and others. For the record, the
following comments are not compensated in any fashion
by StonGard.

My installation: thus far, i have the 8 mil thick film, a
urethane 3M product that is likely the same as
what Bob Sawyer mentioned, on my mirrors, door handle 'cups',
door edges, front-most ~10 inches of the hood, ~8 inches
of the forward parts of the R&L fenders and the lower grill
strip covered with the film. These were from their 95 E36
pattern. The lower spoiler is 'in the mail'.

In talking with Tim (Seattle StonGard owner) and Kurt (LA rep),
i learned that their product has evolved over the past 4 yrs
from their extensive autocross and track experiences.

  Sidebar: Kurt has 4 (!) Porsches; one for autocross and another
  for hi-speed tracks- he also has a Dodge Ram Magnum with the
  Viper V-10 engine to haul his track cars. Note to John
  Browne- Kurt says that his Magnum out-pulls his former
  Suburban on long-grades.

Tim & Kurt's track experiences have defined the criteria for
what common surfaces need to be covered and what the cost/benefit
optimum is (the film is not cheap). It appears that the most stone
damage from tracks occurs in frontal areas with less than
a 45 degree offset from vertical. They cover only about
8-12 inches of the front hood. As for the M3 mirrors,
only the frontal area is covered partly because of its
complex curves. The film is easier to apply than window tint
film because its elastic and can be 'molded' around curves
and multi-planed surfaces. The film also has UV-protectants
to prevent fading of the covered paint.

Chris Sawwa wrote:

> I got ... a sample of the material in the mail. It feels
> a bit delicate for my taste ... but it sounds OK except
> that it costs about !!! $250 !!.

Correct, except that a full installation covers more than
the $90 Colgan bra (which i also have and need to sell). If one
were to add the Colgan mirror bras, door edge protectors
and handle cups, it would be close enough to $200.

> ... for that kind of cash I am not buying it unless I hear
> every single other BMW owner saying that they had it for the
> past 5 yrs and it worked. :)

Chris's smiley is appropriate because many Porsche
autocrossers in the Northwest have evidently been happy with
this product for the past 4 yrs. StonGard only became a
business because so many of Tim's track friends asked him
for the film.

> when you apply it and then your car gets dirty or the film
> gets screwed up by stone chips, what do you do? peel it
> off and wash it?

The film is washable; it will preserve the paint beneath so
users must rigorously wax uncovered paint surfaces adjacent
to the film-protected areas. As for really large or hi-velocity
stones damaging the film, the urethane film is adhesive-
backed yet can be removed within several yrs according
to Tim. I saw a 1 yr old film peeled off and residual
adhesive had to be removed with 3M adhesive remover. The
film can't be reused, so a replacement part would be
required.

> So far it sounds to me like even for all it's faults
> a good bra is a winner.

YMMV, but i disagree. When my installation is complete,
i expect that the product will provide 'equivalent' protection
as the Colgan bra while being (i) a lot more convenient, (ii) more
attractive and (iii) less damaging to the paint. Hi-mileage bras
tend to rub away the paint along the clamp contact points.
While tape can mitigate this, it just adds to the
inconvenience that most users avoid by only using standard
bras for occasional trips/events where stones are expected/feared.

Along with the tendency of dirty or wet bras to cause
serious paint damage, the near-invisible film (except
on white cars) will be there for more than the occasional
long trip- hence providing a longer duration of protection
than sporadic use of a standard bra. Additionally, the
clear bra is less likely to be stolen; Colgan mirror bras
in particular seem to easily grow wings.

dan
96 M3 Lux, Boston Green/Modena Natur, Dinan airbox/exhaust
87 Dinan 2.8L Stroker and many mods, Black/tan, for sale
   http://dsrna.agi.org/dinan325i.html