[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rear wheels shudder under slight wheelspin.

> When I spin the rear wheels, especially when the car is already moving in
>  a straight line, the back end sometimes seems to gently shudder as thoug
> h the tyre grip on the road causes a low frequency grip/ungrip loop.
>
> Does anyone else experience this?
> Is there a term for this phenomenon?

The rear suspensions on our favorite cars are suspended themselves in a
series of bushings.  It sounds like what you are experiencing is loading
them up to their limit where they stop moving and then causing the tires
to slip until the bushings can get some slack.  The tires grip again and
the cycle repeats.  This is great exercise for these bushings and will
build them up to superbushing strength in no time ;).
I try never to experience it.
Lunacy.
- --
Pat Donahue