[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: backlight & Check Engine Light <E34>

At 07:23 PM 18/08/96 -0400, you wrote:
>The backlight on my odo/tripmeter AND the light that shows what gear I'm
>in are out.  I can still see them, but just barely.
>
>I'd like to fix myself, but don't know what is involved?
>
>Let me know what you hear, please.
>
>Thanks,
>Matt Procter

I've now found out by taking the instrument cluster out myself and looking.
1/ Take out the instrument cluster by removing the two philips screws from
   the top of the cluster. You may need to remove the lower cover above the
driver's knee to push the cluster out.
2/ Unplug the looms to the cluster and remove it.
3/ Turn the two screw locks to the "Open" or "Auf" position and open the
   back section of the instrument cluster which is hinged at the top.
4/ You can now access the bulbs for the odometer and gear illumination (aswell
   as many others).
5/ I purchased replacement bulbs from the BMW dealer for about $2 each. I don't
   know what the cost is complete with holder but you'll need the bulb
   complete with holder if you don't have a soldering iron !

Incidentally I also added a bulb for the "Check Engine" light which is not
fitted in Australia and it appears to work. I got it to dump the motronic
fault codes as described in the FAQ. The problem is it remains on all the time
flashing off briefly at a rate of roughly twice per second.
What does this mean ? The dumped fault code (1444) indicates no faults (?)

regards,
Scott Ditter.
1989 535i E34
1975 2002.