[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re-visiting plus-1 vs plus-2 for E34/'95/530i/5-speed

Hi all,

I am re-visiting this subject (in more detail this time) so this is a bit
long, please skip over if not interested.

I'm still struggling with the choice between the plus-1 and plus-2
setup for my E34 '95 530i. Everyone seems to have a different opinion
I've become quite confused. If cost were no object I could make a change
and if I didn't like I could make another change but unfortunately
cost is of some concern but not the driving decision. Anyhow...
here's my question: I've been told not to even bother with the plus-1,
just go right to the plus-2. I have 2 concerns with upgrading to the 17":

1) I want to keep the same classic look with the car so my 17'
wheel choices are limited. My original wheel is the Cross-spoke styling
(Styling 5). If anyone has the "Original BMW Light Alloy Wheels" catalog
(PD1-02964-30M) it's the middle wheel on pg 23/33. It looks just like the
BBS RZ wheel. The BMW version of this wheel is only available in the 7x15.
I could go to the Cross-spoke composite wheel as shown on page 19 of the
BMW wheel catalog (this is same as the BBS RS wheel). $690 each from BMW,
not available from BBS anymore, its been discontinued. This 17" is a
3 piece wheel which is why its so expensive. I don't intend to race the
car so a 1 piece wheel is sufficient for me (and considerably cheaper).
The BBS RZ (1-piece wheel) comes in a 16x8 wheel for about $290 each.
There is no 17" version of this wheel for my car.

Does anyone know of any 1-piece (read less expensive) wheels which look
similar to the BBS RZ (or RS) wheel in a 17" rim?

2) If I go to the 17" (plus-2) I've been told I may need to lower the car
at least 1" to make it look right. The larger wheel and reduced rubber
create the illusion the car sits too high. Have any of you upgraded to the 17"
rim on the E34 without already having the body lower and disliked the look?
Of course lowering the car will make the ride harsher. I've been told the
17"x8.5" BBS RS and lowering the car will make the ride about 20% stiffer.

The guy at BBS told me the BBS RZ 16x8 was specifically developed for the
BMW. Most 16" rims are x 7.5. Does anyone know if the 16x8 will give me
almost the same handling characteristics as the 17x8 rims based on the 8"
width? Is it really a waste of time going to the 16x8 (plus-1) and not
doing it all the way (plus-2)? The 16" is more economical (about but if
the gains are minimal, maybe it's not the right choice. Again I realize
some of you have replied to me earlier on this subject (Thanks) but I would
appreciate any new opinions/experiences.

Thanks for your time.

Kim Watters
E34/530i/5-speed Oxford Green/Parchment Cross Spoke Styling wheels