[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Color Code (2)

>Specifically my 1989 E32 says:  "BMW - Schwarz" and has the numbers 086/9
>and 1 870 903.
>Can someone (Phil?) translate exactly what my sticker says.  The car is
>black, and to the best of my knowledge is NOT clear coated.  The reason that
>I am pretty sure that it is not clear coated is that I get black residue on
>the cloth when I polish it.
>The reason that I ask these questions is that I thought that BMWs had clear
>coated paint.  Did BMW make black paint in 1989 that was not clear coated?
>Thanks,  >Jeff Moser

086 is Black (Schwarz), the non-clearcoat version.  The first clear coat
blacks I remember seeing came on the '91 M5 #668 "glanz schwartz" or Jet
Black as we Americans were told to call it.  I don't think the rest of the
BMW line got clear coated black until somewhere around mid-'92 or '93.
When the Alpine
White II became a clearcoat its number changed from 218 to 300.  Red became
clearcoated (I believe) when it went from Brilliant Red #308 to Bright Red
#314, although the #308 in '93 may have been clearcoated, just can't
remember it all, old age you know.  And it's a safe assumption that Dakar
Yellow #337 became clearcoated in the '96 model when they started calling
it Dakar Yellow II, later the BMW code referred to Dakar Yellow as #267, to
me confirming the change.  I'll let someone else speak on the Dakar Yellow
clearcoat question, I have really bad memories concerning Dakar on an M3
and Harmon Fischer, owner of the M3F in Dakar.

- -Phil Marx