[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

OBD II implications

I’ve noticed a recent post or two on OBD II and the soldered-in chips
mandated for model year 96 and beyond.  Doing searches on “OBD II” and
reading what is available on the net, it appears -- if auto repair
industry trade groups are to be believed -- that the new system kills
the possibility of essentially *all* engine performance enhancements and
may even interfere with the use of certain non-engine modifications that
trigger the “check engine” light.  My questions are:  is it the
consensus of this list that the disaster scenario is true?  Are there
any horsepower enhancements that can get around the rule?  What will
happen to companies like Dinan?  I hope that my 95 740i isn’t the last
modifiable car I will ever own!

Eric Stromquist