[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E36> Air Distribution Control

In n084, David Kroth's contributed an article about a replacement cam unit
with modified profiles which alter the way the fascia control sets the
distribution flaps in the Heater/Air Conditioner. David confirmed that after
fitting this unit he is able to divide the blower airflow between any two of
the three sets of outlets and to vary the split between them - something he
couldn't do with the original configuration.

I have the same problem with my UK Spec 318iS (with manual control A/C), so
I tried ordering the part David quoted ( Part # 64111468537 - Gear Box )
from my local dealer. They have not heard of the part and were not able to
find it in the BMW UK parts computer, but I then called BMW UK Customer
Service. After doing some research, they came back claiming that part was
"US Only" and that it has now been withdrawn and replaced by Part #
64118391298, which has world-wide availability.

Can anyone confirm the new part really does have a "softer" cam profile than
the standard unit? Also, since BMW UK don't appear to have heard of the
problem (let alone know the solution), does anyone understand why it doesn't
affect every E36 and why it isn't notorious?

Bob Avgherinos (ravgherinos@domain.elided)