[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: <E36> 318ti A/C problems

Judging by the responses on the digest, it seems that there are a couple
of 318ti owners out there with the "groaring" noise on their A/C units.

> From: Mohan Kannapareddy <mkannapa@domain.elided>
> Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 15:14:21 -0400 (EDT)
> Subject: RE: <E36> 318ti "GROARING" noise in A/C
>
> Greetings,
> 	I got the same "roaring" noise that you are talking about
> 	in my 318ti (95) too. This only happens at low speed, is
> 	it the same scenario that you have?

That's the one.  Happens on fan settings 1/2, and typically less than
3,000 RPMs.  You'll hear a "howling", growl, or what BMW calls a
"groaring" noise coming from behind the glove box on the passenger side of
the car.

> 	If there has been a service bulletin, can you post it on
> 	the list or e-mail me ?

I'm waiting for Vida to post the service bulletin # from his dealer, but
according to the service advisor at my dealer, it's the "purge valve."

However, after reading Shawn Collin's message below:

> As for the 'Groaring' noise, I think it's neat.  Sounds like the car is
> just tired and gives a big sigh.  My wife & I get a kick out of it every
> time -- usually compliments our moods.

Now I'm getting confused! :)

Initially, when my car was new, it did give a "sigh" (sort of like when
someone exhales) with the A/C but that "sigh" has now turned into a
growling or howling noise.  I know the "sigh" is normal; in fact most if
not all cars do that (when the A/C cycles?) but this "howling" or
"groaning" noise sounds pretty terrifying.

The question remains: is this "groaring" (as BMW calls it) the "howling"
or the "sigh" sound?  I know the question probably sounds kind of dumb
<grin> but please bear with us 318ti owners. :)

> Here's a new one, probably for all ti & is owners: Drove down to Boston
> last week for Macworld, and I had the windows down & sunroof open for
> the morning while it was cooler.  Stopped at a rest area and decided to
> open the two rear vent windows, got back on the highway, hit a small
> bump, FWUMP!, FWUMP!  They both closed!  Pieces of sh**, I said.  Here's
> the deal: both windows were open and in their 'locked' position -- I'm
> positive.

Ever since taking delivery of my 318ti back in Feb. of this year, I've
never *ONCE* opened the rear vent windows.  Sorry. :)

 Tay Systems Research            David Tay (BMW CCA #130574 '95 318ti)
 3554 Chain Bridge Road, #100  tsr@domain.elided CompuServe: 74213,2471
 Fairfax, VA 22030-2709, USA      Tel. 703/760-9022 - Fax 703/893-1154