[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE:auto trans kick down delays

I'm curious if those who have experienced delays with the kick down of the
auto trans are having this trouble with all down shifts, or full throttle.
On the E36 (probably others as well) there is a switch below the throttle
pedal, you hit wide open throttle, and can then push slightly further to
actuate the kick down, if this is where your delay is, next time try to
manually pull the shifter into first and see if its more responsive. In our
cars once you hit that switch, the trans kicks down instantly. Our 95 325iA
did have some trans work done at about 3000 miles. There is a tsb regarding
it, although the service writer didn't really know what was done besides
"replacing some springs in the torque converter". Our car acted like it had
a high stall torque converter. You could hold the car with the brakes and
rev the motor to about 3500 and launch. Of course, if you didn't do this,
it felt like a clutch slipping and the car felt slugish. Since this the
trans works flawlessly. As compared to my 318iA with a dinan trans chip
(and jim c emgine chip) the shift points are slightly lower, but both still
downshift eagerly. Maybe there is some adjustment for the downshifting. For
driving schools and autocrosses, I still use the manual mode, mainly so I
don't get a downshift at an unwanted time.