[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

My Z3!

I picked my Z3 up Friday August 9 and here are my thoughts.

First, my roadster is Artic Silver, with Red leather. It is a 5 speed,
with the on-board computer (OBC), the heated seats package, mats and CD
changer. The silver is brilliant and silky smooth, the red leather gives
the car an exotic yet retro look. I find it very appealing.

Second, the fit and finish is as good if not better than the
Munich-built, rock-solid 318iC I traded in for the Z3. I have studied my
car very, very closely and I conclude that the folks at Spartanburg
deserve a heck of a lot of credit - the car is tight, solid, and hard.
There are NO squeaks, rattles or creaks.

Third, the ride. As has mentioned in some reviews, it is a surprisingly
comfortable touring vehicle. I live about 320 miles from the dealership
and I found the drive home extremely pleasant and comfortable. The seats
were supportive and the top well-sealed. A nice downpour or two along the
way afforded me the opportunity to check for leaks; there wasn't even a
drop. Around town, the car's strong, solid chassis makes it an everyday
driver.

I detailed the interior vinyl and trim with Lexol Vinylex and waxed the
car with Zymol carbon. The nice round curves make it pretty easy to wax.
It is in my garage and looks beautiful. It has a more 'classic,' more
'vintage' look than I imagined it would - it is retro yet updated. I am
very, very pleased with this car, and I am almost ready to conclude that
it is the best car I have ever owned.

I do have a couple of questions for fellow Z3 owners:

(1) I haven't seen anyone mention the fact that the stereo volume is
automatically raised as you go faster and then lowers when you slow down.

(2) Does the electrical socket (fka cigarette lighter) work?

(3) What kinds of items are you keeping in the upper and lower bins? My
garage door opener fits nicely in the small rubbery tray next to the
parking brake.

(4) Any word on cupholders and will they be free?

(5) Any word on a tonneau cover? A cockpit cover (where you can leave the
top-down with boot, yet the cockpit can be covered?

(6) Has anyone replaced just the kickpanel speakers and has that alone
made a significant difference? If so, what brand and model speakers were
used and is it a DIY project?

I haven't even had the top-down yet and can't wait to do so. I look
forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,

Peter M. Zavaletta, Esq.

'95 Range Rover County Classic