[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E30><E36>Automatic Transmissions Owners Only - Use them Correctly!

I'm just bothered by people whining about BMW auto trans. I wrote a summary
of how to drive and care for them a few months ago to no avail. I fully agree
that maximum performance can be obtained from the 5-speed, but the auto
compromise need not be that much of a compromise. I just completed my annual
trip down the blue ridge parkway from Front Royale, VA to the Smokies -
including a stop at the BMW  Zentrum. I have done this trip north and south
once with an E30 325i 5 speed and three times with E36/E30 autos. I imagine
there can be no better test of a transmission than this trip. About 500 miles
and probably - I don't know 5000 or so curves and elevation changes maybe
more -  That doesnt include all the side trips off the parkway. To get to the
point - in a five speed you do not use 1st (exept to start from a dead stop)
and 5th- you have 2 -3 and 4 and darn little of 4 to work with in the
mountains. In an auto you generally only use 2 and 3. If you can not work up
a sweat on your palms with an auto in 1-2- or 3 you are doing something wrong
or there is something wrong with you car. You should be able to easily carry
a curve with 3K to 4.5K RPMS to work with. You could use carry even more RPM
- - say 5-6K by using 1-2 for a slightly higher level of excitement, but over
500 miles and thousands of curves this is a lot of wear and tear.You should
also be able to go from say 80 to 110 or higher in a hurry at appropriate
times on 4-lanes if need be - although I never do that. 5-speeds will be
faster in a drag race and a closed course, but unless your bent on committing
suicide in the mountains I dont think they can be that much faster or more
fun than an auto on roads where speeds above 40-50mph through some curves are
hard to stick. Our stock E-36 with KN factory filter replacement with Chevron
or Amoco 93 has instant throttle response once underway in 1-2- which
corresponds to 5-speed 2 and 3 - a slight delay in 3 and overdrive when you
kick them down. At 80 mph you can either downshift manually to 3 and stomp on
the gas -best choice - or kick down in overdrive and you should get exciting
accleration.

Some of us have to use autos for a variety of reasons. Autos take practice
just like 5-speeds. I think much of the auto problems relate to improper use
- - people want performance - but in reality never use the car in a performance
mode enough to "train it"

Hoods Up Rules of auto driving -
1. Change fluid and filter annualy - I use Mobile 1 Synthetic ATF - pricey
but necessary in my opinion for performance use!
Note E-30s are possible to change in your garage with a floor jack - E-36's
require a lift and are a bear - but I have access to a lift and use it for
both cars. Unless you have access to a lift I recommend paying someone - It
can be dangerous and very messy to DIY.
2. Get your car in shape and keep it that way - Training!!!!
If you feel your auto is "sluggish" do number 1 first - then never - ever
drive it in "D" except when overdrive is called for i.e. the Interstate - 4
lane cruising. Make sure its tuned up, injectors clean - spark plugs good -
airflow sufficient - good gas etc. etc. the basics.
3. Always use "3" or sport setting in driving at any speed below about 55.
Start out in 2nd and shift to 3rd for better training. If you use good gas
and follow proper maintenance procedures this is the most important step to
keep your auto performing well. You dont have to let the economy mode "lug"
the engine. You wouldnt start off in a five speed in third gear or drive
around town in 4th.
4. At least several times a week take a clear  onramp in "3" floor the
acclerator and force  upshifts to 2 and 3 which should occur several hundred
RPM below the redline.
5. The more you use the shifter the "looser" it will become - this is good
and makes for easier shifting. Stiff shifter complaints come from lack of use
- - i.e. the less you use it the more you will complain when you try it.
6. Do not try the above on an E-36 that has been lugged around and clogged up
without an appropriate conditioning period. Build up gradually - first start
by ceasing the use of "D" around town. RPMS and good gas/oil changes have a
way of curing BMW drivability problems - I dont mean excessive I mean at
least going above 3K alot every day. If your commuting and using D you may
never see 3000 RPMs for days on end in 35 to 55 mph town/urban driving - your
car will become a dog.
7. Treat your auto like the well-designed performance auto it is and it will
respond appropriately.

After 34 k miles my E-36 just loves to change gears - it runs better after a
vigorous 3000 mile trip - I trained it well.

8. Dont blame me if you ruin your auto trans. Personally I think they may
last longer if used vigorously - on the other hand life is too short and if
you keep a car at least 10 years like I do and you need some trans work after
say 6 years or so - no big deal - You'll have had 6 years of better driving
and 4 more years with no car payments - but I think they''ll last much
longer. My much modified1990 E30 with the so-called impaired original 4HP22
auto has 78K miles on it and outperforms my E36. As near as I can tell it
works better than when new.

Please - no five speed flamers - this message is for clutch impaired only!
Happy Motoring - Hoods Ups