[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Color Code

In digest V5 #88, Phil Marx said:

>Look on under the hood, a rectangular black label on/near the shock tower.
>It should say "Jet Black" or "Glanz Schwarz" and have the code #668 very
>small at the corner.

I have always wondered what that little sticker was for.

Specifically my 1989 E32 says:  "BMW - Schwarz" and has the numbers 086/9
and 1 870 903.

Can someone (Phil?) translate exactly what my sticker says.  The car is
black, and to the best of my knowledge is NOT clear coated.  The reason that
I am pretty sure that it is not clear coated is that I get black residue on
the cloth when I polish it.

The reason that I ask these questions is that I thought that BMWs had clear
coated paint.  Did BMW make black paint in 1989 that was not clear coated?

Thanks,

Jeff Moser