[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

LONG<E36>4dr Fixed squeaks + 328ic Adventures

Like some fellow digest members I had _alot_ of squeaking coming all
around from Upper door seals.  When I dropped of the car the service
advisor said It was a common problem. (Yeah I knew that) He said they
just had BMW send some kind of german lubricant for the seals, said it
was called Zuffenpoopen or something like that ;)  I mentioned the fix
from the TSB, he said I really wouldn't want it as it made it look like
I had packing tape around my door seals.  The zuffenpoopen should be
enough he said.  I also had the infamous E36 center dash separation. I
was concerned about the fix, heard about using a metal plate, dealer
said they've come a long way since then.  It would be taken care of.  I
also had a squeaky clutch pedal which dealer would investigate.
Well when I picked it up the dash was fixed - tres bien but the squeaks
were still there in door seals and clutch pedal.  Dealer had ordered new
'door clips' and clutch pedal assembly.

<Fast forward a couple of days>

Well in between visits my brake lights were staying on all the time(no
wonder people were pasing me and giving me dirty looks) and the SRS
light was staying on again!  By this time the parts for squeaks had come
in.  It turned out work took longer than expected and dealer lent me a
96 Silver 328ica Convertible, just in time for the weekend. EXCELLENT,
Mr. Dealer you may keep my car for as long as you wish I thought to
myself.

Can you imagine the look on my face when I arrived at dealer to pick up
a what I thought would be one of the Generic White 318ti Fleetmobiles.
No instead he pointed to the top down Convertible.
I promptly took to my favorite mountain back roads in gods' own North
Carolina mountains.  One of my most favorites is Rt 221 around Boone,
Linndale and Blowing Rock.  Top down, trees twisty roads and great views
all around.

The only three distractions

1. Automatic hampering 2.8 engine.  When I want to downshift I mean now,
not some time from now.  Sure the kick-down feature was helpful, but It
felt like my foot was going to go through the Floorboard (ala Fred
Flintstone)...I've driven worse, should be better.
2. Shoulder belt that slipped off my when looking over my left shoulder
(Look honey no blind-spot when the top is down)
3. Grampas in the' Merikun Bargemobiles and the moron in the Impala SS
filling up my mirrors.

Otherwise this car's tight as a drum, no rattles, no squeaks, no water
leaks through downpours, easy power top, and peace of mind from Rollover
Protection System. It had same poor distribution of air to floor and
face vents and same sometimes sticky window switches. What is the deal
with real/faux wood in this car.  It's totally out of place in a 3
Series. Save the wood for furniture and Big Daddy 7er's.

To E36 ic owners like Rocco, congrats on a great car.

Six days later of Convertible bliss, an improved tan, and tousselled
hair I get my car back.  I was actually starting to miss my car by now.
Also the co-works are starting to get on my nerves by now.  At first
they say "Oh did you get a new BMW, it's beautiful", No it's a loaner I
reply.."Why is your car broken again, BMW aren't very realiable are
they"  - The un-enlightened never understand do they?

Well let me wrap this up.  After these new door clips there is _NO_
noise from door seals, totally quiet like new.  The clutch pedal is
smoother than microwaved creamy peanut butter (Does it really remove wax
reside).  Turns it was more than just clutch pedal, the Tech had to drop
the transmission tracking the noise down.  It is gone.  This time the
fix for SRS light is due to empty detect sensor in passengers seat going
bad (1st time it was drivers seat belt latch).  I'd forgotten how quiet
the car should be, I have new appreciation for it.  If my application
gets me an open spot I'll be at my First Driver's School at Rockingham
Aug 31 + Sept 1

Happy BMW'ing,
Fabian Gramer- CCA Memeber, Tarheel Chapter