[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Injector/Valve Cleaners??

     I was wondering if someone (chemical engrs?) could shed some light on
     the difference between fuel-injector and intake-valve cleaners? I've
     been using one of Chevron's products (are there more than 2?) in the
     last 5 gallons of a tank.

     Reading the labels on the myriad of cleaners out there doesn't tell a
     whole lot. I don't mean to pick on Chevron's Techtron, but isn't
     Techtron just a tradenamed mixture? I'm not asking for any proprietary
     formulation, just some basics. My gut feel is that almost all of the
     cleaners are slight variations on the same formula. Like margaritas
     from different bartenders...slightly different mix ratio...same effect
     (No flames on Cuervo Ta-kill-ya is better than Oro Grande etc...). I
     suspect, probably erroneously,(pleading ignorance in the 1st degree)
     they're all mixtures of naptha,heptane(basic white gas),
     detergents...?).

     I'll summarize the questions so it's easier to edit & reply:

     1. What is the approximate composition of valve/injector cleaners?

     2. Is an intake-valve cleaner any different than a injector cleaner?

     3. Is it OK to speed up the cleaning process by running the stuff with
     less fuel?

     4. Any other objective testimonials or comments?

     5. Would you use injector or valve cleaner to make a margarita?

     Thanks in advance,

                        Barry Ritchey
                        '90 325iX
                        mbritch@domain.elided

     Please 'reply to author' as well as posting to the digest, since I'm
     about 2-weeks behind on reading the digest.