[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: baked-on water spots

Operating System: SunOS 4.1.4 1

Hi Thomas,
  I always enjoy your column in "Zundfolge", keep them coming.

  I should have called this condition "water deposits" instead of
"water spots".

  HD Clense didn't phase these deposits, but Meguiar's #9 and Meguiar's #2
are taking them off 90% of the way, there is still a faint outline
of some of the deposits.  At this point I'm going to try some more #9
and see if they polish out.

  This is on the '89, and I don't think BMW was using water borne
paint at that time.

Dale

> 	If HD Cleanse, Meguiar's No. 2 or Dual Action Cleaner Polish, etc.
> won't take out these "water spots," perhaps they *aren't* water spots.
> 	Drops of water on the paint act like convex lenses.  If, as was
> stated, the car was left in intense light with the water drops on it,
> there may well be damage to the color coat underneath the clear coat.  The
> color coat is much softer than the clear coat, and with Southwest sunshine
> focussed on it, well . . .  This could happen without the clear
> coat looking or feeling damaged.  Butressing this theory is the
> widely-held view that water-borne paints are not yet up to snuff.
> 	This is why cars should not be washed in direct sunlight.
> 	Please let us know what the final diagnosis is, when discovered.
>
> Th.B. Nast
> Who thinks that moleskin might be better than contemporary paint.

- --

                       |            Dale Beuning           |
                       |       email: dalus@domain.elided     |
                       | web: http://www.eskimo.com/~dalus |