[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ABS

Dave,

>I find it rather sad to read the somewhat arrogant observations of people
>like "Jeff" regarding some of the undeniable benefits of modern computer
>technology. Admittedly not all computer advances have been beneficial but
>some undoubtedly are.

	And if find it rather pathetic that people would rather rely on
a "deus ex machina" while on the road than learn to control their cars.

>In my case alone, ABS on my 525i saved at least one life, that of
>a young boy who turned in front of my car without signals while riding his
>bicycle. I was doing about 50km/h - 30mph and had no time for evasive
>manoevers or cadence braking - I just hit brakes HARD and the ABS stopped me
>with about 6 inches to spare. I know the ABS did it as I had the
>unmistakeable fast 'hammer' noise of ABS pulsing the brakes to maintain
>traction - without ABS there would have been a funeral or at least a major
>stay in hospital for this lad.

	Great.  I'm happy for you and him.  I can give you an example where
the same ABS that saved the boys life could take others.  Admittedly, it
may not apply in South Africa, but it is valid in most places where
ice forms.

	You are driving down a crowded street in cold weather.  The
sidewalks are filled with people walking home or shopping or whatever.
Suddenly, you hit a patch of black ice and the car begins sliding
towards the curb and the pedestrians.  You can't steer (because it is
ice) and you aren't slowing down much.  When you hit that curb, even
at an oblique angle, your car is going to climb up it and hit the
pedestrians because you can't lock the wheels.  If the wheels are
locked, there is a much better chance that you will bounce off the
curb and back out into the road.

	Another is if the same boy had turned in front of you on a gravel
or dirt road (if they have any in South Africa).  You probably would
have hit him becuase ABS stopping distances are significantly longer
in loose surfaces.  The fastest way to stop on gravel or dirt is to
lock the wheels.  I don't like any system that dictates how I drive.

>Would Jeff prefer to do without the Motronic computer on a BMW and revert to
>a carb and points ignition, no computer for the engine? How about mechanical
>instruments and no OBC - by the way, my 525i had a built in icy-road warning
>in the OBC temperature sensor, it came on several times last winter in South
>Africa.

	The OBC is another useless feature that does nothing but cause
wasted time chasing electrical faults.  There is nothing wrong with a
properly tuned carb and points system either.  At least a carb doesn't
have the rediculous amount of throttle lag induced by the damn micro-
switches forcing a "idle" mode for efficiency or shutting off the
injectors on decelleration.  Yes, motronic is nice. Yes, it burns
cleaner too.  But it isn't perfect.  It sucks to try to upgrade.  I
have to rely on somebody like Dinan or Jim C (NO OFFENSE HERE!!) to
play with my car.  Jim seems like an excellent person to deal with,
but most chip manufacturers don't care about engine longevity as long
as you get some power increase (Superchips, anyone ?).  Bosch CIS
injection is really much nicer to play with.

	Maybe the ultimate system for you would be to program your
destination and let the car take you there.  It uses technology (which
is by definition a good thing, right?) and would probably be the safest
way since all cars could be forced to keep the optimum spacing.  Better
yet -- take the bus.

Later,
Jeff  (who is apparently some kind of throwback)