[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 2002 CA smog rules

Ira Eisenstein

> I asked what could be done, and he suggested I plug half the hoses
> (exhaust gas recirc, air-pump backpressure into the exhaust manifold,
> etc) and he would retune it.
> He plugged the hoses, disconnected the air compressor, and when he gave
> it back to me, it ran far better and got 24 MPG, which later on came up
> the expected 26 after a clutch and pressure plate was replaced.  Not
> only that, but it passed New York inspection for smog without any smog
> devices at all.

> The moral of the story is that unless they will confiscate your car on
> sight for failing smog test, take a shot at seeing if it will pass as
> is.  Or even remove the smog crap it has now and get it tuned REALLY
> WELL.  If it burns its fuel completely and efficiently in the first
> place, less will come out the tailpipe than if it is choking on its
> fuel bcz of smog devices hampering it's combustion.
> Alternatively, you might consider an electronic ignition, and hotter
> running plugs for it.  That might give it a hotter more consistent
> spark and improve combustion as well, not to mention performance.

Perhaps your mechanic resorts to smog gear removal because it's easier
than fixing the real problem. I'll agree that its cheaper and _may_
result in a better-running car which burns less fuel, but...

It's not necessarily true that a well running car with smog equipment
removed pollutes less than the same car with _functioning_ smog gear
that runs poorly. Unless you've got some measurements to back up your
opinions, then that's all they are. I'm not surprised that the car
passed the state smog check, but you don't say what the car's smog
measured, what the state limits are, or what the orignal (back in '72)
smog limits were.

Give us numbers, then your opinions based on _all_ the facts.

Evan
'87 325 (in CA, where we can't fool the smog police so easily)