[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: ZF 4HP22E transmission

I would be interested in hearing about any  ZF 4hp22
transmission failures experienced. I became interested in this issue when I

was considering a used BMW with automatic and while researching  the
issue found that the ZF 4hp22 was routinely failing at  about 80 to 130 k
miles.(typical used car mileage)
                    In addition , the  transmission is prone to burn the "
A" clutch
if the engine is held to a high idle in N or Park for more than 90 seconds.

This could easily happen if the car is improperly serviced or smog tested
in California.

	Well, my problems were with the electronic version of the transmission. I
had bought n '86 L7 from a dealership in CA. They had to have it smogged
before the title could transferred. They don't have smog stuff at the
dealer so they sent it down the street to a smog place. Low and behold the
smog place fried the transmission. (Probably running it at 3000 in N for 5
minutes). The ironic part is who paid for a new transmission. It wasn't the
smog place or the dealership. BMW NA paid for the replacement fully despite
the fact that the car was then 8 years old with 70,000mi. My mecahnic later
told me that the smog place burning out the transmission was really a
blessing in disguise.

Steve Meade
smeade@domain.elided
'87 325is blk/tan 132kmi