[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Squeaking belts

Hi everyone.  This is my first post although I've been lurking for a couple
of months now.

About 7 weeks ago I bought a white 1993 525i with less than than 32,000 km
on the clock (genuine).  It was a consulate car in its previous life and was
serviced by a BMW factory-owned dealership.

I have one complaint though - noisy/squeaky fan/A.C./alternator belts.  I
have taken the car to the BMW dealership in the city where I live (not the
city where I bought the car) on two occasions and on each occasion they
applied grease to the belts.  They sell this grease (manufactured by Kluber
and called Syntheso Glep 1) in their Parts Department but want $40.00 for a
100g tube of the stuff!!!

I was told by the dealership mechanic that the condition of the belts was
fine and that the squeaking noise was a common enough problem, especially in
wet weather.  Is this true?

Does anyone know of a safe (for the belts) and less expensive solution?

TIA

Greg Baker
gbaker@domain.elided