[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<MISC> Smog Check II Protest

I'm posting this for Pat Dewitt, our Sacramento (Calif) BMW CCA Chapter
President who is email impaired.  She received this letter from Morris
T. Erickson who thought the internet public might be interested in
this.

- -- Bob

- -----------------------------------

It is time for an emergency post card to be sent to all of the BMW club
members.  On Wednesday, August 21st, starting early in the morning,
there will be a mass protest on the State Capitol steps to fight the
new Smog Check II program.

This is being organized by Melonie Morgan of KSFO 560AM, weekday
mornings from 6 AM to noon.

New C.A.R.B. regulations, according to E.P.A. estimates, will eliminate
80% of all vehicles over five to ten years old.  This will include ALL
collector and classic vehicles!  Your options will be to put in a new
engine, sell the vehicle out-of-state, or "donate" it for crushing so
that another industry can buy an energy credit to continue polluting.
(Even after the new engine, if it fails one time - off to the crusher.)

Call me, or tune in KSFO if you want more information.  We must act now
if we want to keep our old Beamers!  Contact other clubs if you can.
Buses are being organized in the bay area to bring people in.

Morris T Erickson
Home 427-5056  Work 451-1336   Fax 451-7460