[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Reply to Bernstein

Steve,

As I pointed out the NY Chapter crash rate is much better than the
Club average (excluding acts of God) so I wonder that Walter and I
must be doing something right.

I think there should be insentive on the Student's part to develop
skills, but since many of them drive modern cars and did not start
out in low tech cars like some of us who have been around a while, it
is very hard to get that point across peoles egos. Since you have not
been an Event Organizer and do not communicate with many of my
counter parts them I do, you do not see just how pervasive that
attitue BY TOO MANY (but certainly not all) STUDENTS is around the
Club. It is not a local NY phenomenoman.

I am a firm beliver in a pre-event skid pad safety school. We deal
with the classroom part in the Novice classroom. The problem is
Bridgehampton has no skid pad and I have been trying for over a year
to find a venue to do it off track. We ran one with great success
some time ago, but the Long Island State Park Comm stopped issuing
permits for that kind of thing. Also, since you have never run an
event, you don't see that there is only so much you can force
perticipants to do. The Schools are educational and they are
entertainment. There is a balance between the two. I am also a
volunteer doing this with very little resouces in time and personnel.
Lots of people know what "I should be doing". Almost no one ever
offers to help. It would be winderful if you could reseach a skid pad
venue and do registration for me. Walter and I will instruct.

As far as flaggers are concerned, they are THE most critical
component of safety at a school. Putting first time Novices out at
flag stations when the experienced (fast) drivers are on the track is
a recipe for disaster. Anyone who had been an Event Organizer will
tell you of the problems that occur with Student flaggers. Remember
the only thing between you becoming the next car involved or a metal
to metal crash is that yellow flag. Professional corner workers are
as important as the onsite ambulance. The are not nonnegocaible and
when you need them they repay many time over. Try being Track Control one
day and see what it is like telling novices what to do as they are
literaly in a state of panic because a car has spun much less
something worse. You are so wrong
about the value of professional corner workers. Would it be a good
idea to have students observe at corners. Yes, I agree with that, but
with no role in safety. The Flag station is not a classroom. Peoples
lives are at stake.

As I said earlier (with a bad choice of words that I regret), those
who know how to run a safe speed event and have not walked a mile in
my shoe seem to have brave keybords.

With hard work and the willingness to make tough choices I have a
very low crash rate compared to the rest of the club. The vast
majority of paricipants at NY schools commend the way we do buiness.
Some don't and no one can please all the people all the time. That's
why there's lots of other Chapters and lots of other managment
styles. People can complain all that want, but our events are first
safe and second fun. They are not perfect (yet) and can not ever be risk free.

Steve