[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<02> ignition switch

The ignition switch on my '74 2002 (manual trans.) will no longer turn
to the "start" position.  Whatever it is that keeps you from re-engaging
the starter without first turning the switch back to "off" appears to be
permanently blocking the start position.  I have several questions:

(1)  How do you remove the ignition switch?  I have removed the covering
from beneath the switch and was surprised to see that it is housed in a
sizeable piece of metal that also helps support the steering column.
(2)  Once removed, is there any hope that a good local locksmith can fix
the problem?  (3)  If replacement is my only option, does anyone have a
used switch that they would be willing to sell?    (4)  Finally, is
using a remote starter a viable alternative?

As usual, thanks for any suggestions.

Dan Raessler
draessler@domain.elided