[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Arrrgh, got my first paint chip!!

>As I got closer, it revealed itself to me as a really nasty paint chip.

Only one chip? You lucky guy! :-)  I've got 3 or 4 noticeable ones that I
hope to tackle this weekend (maybe today, I'm playing hooky from work).

>Any solution to this?

As far as repairing the chip?  You can take a look at:
http://www.fsti.com/people/rlg/bmw/paint.html (must be my day to dispense
URLs :-)).  There's some real good advice on repairing chips there, some of
it pretty involved.  Between that info and talking with the owner of a
BMW/Porsche/MB body shop near my office (damn, forgot the name), I'm going
to give it a try with a very simple, straightforward approach:

1. wash hood
2. clean chip areas with rubbing alcohol.
3. using "toothpick method", color in the chips.
4. again using "toothpick method", apply clear coat over color (the touch-up
paint I bought has both color & clear).
5. allow to cure for a week, then wash & wax entire car

This isn't as involved as some of the tips at the Web page, but it's the
method I feel comfortable attempting, and if I'm successful (keep your
fingers crossed :-)) should make the chips much less noticeable, which is
all I'm shooting for.

Hope that helps,
- ----
For Money: jimb@domain.elided