[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Yoko A509s, another view

     Hi this was Mike's experience with Yoko A509s.

     >From: Hood-Douda <raindance@domain.elided>
     >Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 18:34:41 -0700 (PDT)
     >Subject: <tires> A509s (was mail order tires)

     >We have A509s in the 196/60-14 size on our '69 1600ti.  I recently
     >had the
     >opportunity to test them in the wet at SIR.  I would not classify
     >them as a
     >good wet traction tire, and would even say that they are down right
     >scary!
     >My previous tire was the Pirelli P4000 SuperTouring, a V-rated all
     >season.
     >It had great wet handling ability, but lasted a mere 22K miles (out
     >ofclaimed mileage rating of 40K).  I went with A509s because of their
     >1)low cost, and 2)reputation for dry handling.  Besides the abysmal
     wet >handling,
     >I am disappointed in the lack of sidewall stiffness.

     And here is mine

     I have been thru 4 drivers schools with them this summer, and I think
     they are a great balance between a street and a track tire. I don't
     notice any wet weather problems with them (I don't really drive that
     hard when roads are wet). The sidewalls might be a little soft, but I
     just jack the air pressure when I am planning on some hard driving.
     These are 205/60/14s on a 1988 325IS. At the track I use 42psi front
     and 44psi rear, mimimum, hot. Nothing takes the place of real track
     tires like BFG R1s, but these are a good trade off.

     Take care

     Don Stevenson
     BMWCCA Boston