[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: <misc> Why the lack of gauges?

Ref: bmw-digest V5 #55
On Wed 31 Jul 96, Mark Hansen <mhansen@domain.elided> wrote:

>I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to why BMW doesn't provide a
>more complete compliment of gauges?  Perhaps they feel that our attention
>is better used for driving than worrying what our oil pressure is.

>Any thoughts?

Yea... how come none of any models had any of those *performance* gauges? :-)
How about those M series - which are performance models?
I am sure it ain't gonna add much to the cost, but BMW Ag knows better !
Kinda so used to having some indication for *Volt, Amps, Oil Pressure* in my
'71 Opel Manta SR... and felt *lost* w/o those in the BMW :-(
IMHO, however reliable the system are... there are time when the slightest
changes from the normal readings does help to arrest any potential damages
that may arise... especially that having to do with oil pressure and voltage.
The oil pressure gauge in particular is very very useful. Whatever grade/brand
of engine oil being used... the *range-of-change* between *hot/cold* engine
will and can be intepreted as being suitable or not - for the engine, taking into
consideration of its age, such as wear-n-tear!
Could have added them but VDO gauges are so difficult to come by here
in Malaysia... so at the moment I am hunting for those *Industrial* electronic
stuff that gives digital readout with amber LED display small enough to integrate
with the dash design.
Any members on the list having come across or had it done - installing LED type
electronic oil pressure/voltage readout ?
Thanks for the bandwidth.

- -- chL00I
via DeskTopPC
West Malaysia