From: "Alberto SCHILEO, DCC/USD" <Alberto.SCHILEO@domain.elided>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 1996 13:45:00 +0100 (MET)
Subject: <E36> Climate Control

>Every morning and evening when I start my 96' 328i (going/leaving work),
>the fan automatically goes to the middle setting.  I have always set it
>to the lowest.  The unit seems to lose its memory after a long time.
>
>I brought this up to the dealer but their answer was "they all do that".
>Can anyone confirm that?  BTW: It is the digital climate control unit.

Upon starting the car, if the digital climate control detects that the
temperature you have set (showing on the climate control) is very different
from the temperature of the cabin, it will try to heat or aircondition
(assuming you left it on) to get the temperature to the level you desire. In
order to do this, it will increase the fan blowing speed for a while, until the
new temperature has been reached, at which point it will reduce it again by
itself to whatever level YOU had set before.

Another interesting point is that the fan control switch seems to operate a few
"notches" beyond the max setting on the display.  I noticed that if I click it
up after it is at its max display level, it will still increase for about 4
steps.  This is proven by the fact that when I press the down settings, it
takes four clicks before the display actually starts decreasing.  The blower
output is not much greater, but I can sense an increase in airflow when beyond
the max display position.  Perhaps this speed is used when you put the defogger
on...

Alberto.Schileo@domain.elided
Paris, France
'96 328is