[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Real BMW or Not?

>Last weekend on the way home from LA (I'm in San Fran) we drove by a
>younger person (I don't want to call him a kid) in a 318.  I mentioned to
>my girl friend that here's a person that realy wanted a BMW.  He could have
>saved a few bucks and got a Honda or some such, but he went the extra
>effort and got a Bimmer.  He probably spent a larger amount of his income
>on that car then most folks that buy Bimmers.

>- -Rob-

Rob,

        Atleast at the High School I went to, those few people who owned
BMWs were all snobs except one.  I went to an uppity college prep school in
Hillsborough, Cal.  The most common car among students was the 325is!  They
were all poor drivers, but they like the look.  I even had one friend who
got a 911 cabrio on his 15th birthday so that he would have a "proper" car
to learn to drive in!  I don't know about you, but this really pissed me
off when I was driving my crappy little Mercury Lynx.  Now that I can
finally afford my BMW (well, I'm trying!), I can full apreciate it.  But
how many 18 year-olds truly can?  I think the average person you see at
that age who owns one has had it puchased by mommy and daddy.  They buy the
318 because it looks "cool" to the kids, but doesn't have enough power for
the kids to get into trouble...  It always annoys me when I see kids in
BMWs.  Of course, if they have a 2002, and they work on it themselves, it's
another story all together.  But those who get new ones piss me off unless
they paid for it!

- -Bill Bechtold
 bbechtol@domain.elided
 '89 BMW ///M3 (Jim Conforti/M-Performance/Dinan Tuned)
 '67 Pontiac Firebird 400 (100% Stock and Staying that Way!)