[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Speed Limits

I was in Mississippi on business a few weeks ago.  There was a spot on a
local news show re the new speed limit (75-mph).  The basic point of the
story was that when the speed limits were to be increased, everyone believed
that accidents would automatically increase as well.  The Miss. Highway
Patrol reacted to this by reducing their allowable speed "buffer" to around
5-mph and greatly increasing their efforts to combat DWI.  Results?
 Accidents have declined about 44%.  My read?  Getting the troopers out onto
the highways looking for reckless dirvers, instead of in the bushes with
their radar, has made quite a difference.  Anyone from Mississippi?

Patrick Dargan