[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<MISC>RE: Disputing Credit Card Charges

Since several digesters, most recently Scott regarding Halo products, have
noted questionable billing practices by vendors to customer credit cards, I
thought I would offer this  advice (counter-measure)....

Many states (I live in Massachusetts) have consumer protection laws that allow
you to "protest" or put under dispute a charge to your credit card bill.

It is for exactly this reason that I usually use a credit card for big
ticket items and mail-order purchases....if there's ever a problem with the
product, I simply write a letter to the bank card putting that charge under
dispute..and that charge will show up as a credit on my next statement with
a notation of it being under dispute.  I suggest this procedure as a last
resort, after you have clearly tried to resolve the matter directly with the
vendor and have properly documented (certified mail) your correspondence with
the vendor. Clearly, consumers should not abuse this option; I suspect banks
probably have a way of noting such excessive abuse on credit reports.

However, be aware that some banks are easier to deal with on these matters.
The good ones put the burden of proof on the vendor to verify or fix the
problem.

Regards,

Jonathan