[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<Misc>

     Dear Listers,

     About 2 years ago, I replaced the front and rear windshield moldings
     (the shiny silver, clear-plastic covered stuff that snaps into the
     windshield gasket) on my 88 535i.  I used OEM parts I bought at
     Bavarian Autoparts.  These pieces are now noticably deteriorated
     (clear plastic ain't so clear anymore).

     Questions are:

        Does anyone know how to prevent these pieces from deteriorating,
        other than by reducing their exposure to sunlight?

        Does anyone know if there's a difference in quality/longevity
        between dealer and aftermarket pieces?

        Is there an alternative (maybe a piece that's all black?) to the
        silver/clear plastic stuff?

     On another subject, what's the hot tip on freeing up a sticking
     automatic radio antenna?  Mine will only go up half way on its own
     (but will go up all the way if you pull on it while its rising).

        Should I get after it with fine steel wool to remove gunk?

        Is there an appropriate lubricant I can use?

     TIA

     Guy Cheesman
     '88 535 w/ balky antenna and acne'd windshield trim