[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Autothority short shift kit

IN LIGHT OF THE RECENT POSTS ON THE SHORT SHIFT KIT.
I WILL REPOST AN OLD LETTER. SINCE, APE HAS SEND ME A NEW
DRILLED OUT ADAPTER WHICH IS EASIER TO INSTALL.
HOWEVER, IT SEEM TO MAKE THE SHIFTER A LITTLE
SLOPPY. TRY DRILLING IT OUT YOURSELF IN 1/64 inch
INCREMENTS. IT SHOULD BE AS TIGHT AS POSSIBLE TO
ALLOW IT TO SLIP OVER THE SHAFT. I MAY TRY A NEW ONE.

Autothority Performance Engineering:

As per our phone conversation today, I am returning the shift kit to
have the bushing replaced and the diameter enlarged. I did not have
large enough drill to make the adjustment myself as you had suggested
(max bit size 3/8Ó). The shift link was unable to be pushed through
the kit while off the car, much less than when tried with the link on
the car where space is very cramped. I just happened to have my stock
shift link off my car  due to a previous ineffective upgrade.  Because
the joint dimensions are exactly the same, I should be able to attach
the shift kit to the Stock shift rod and my upgrade shift link on the
car without problems. I tapped the stock shift link through the bushing
with a hammer (as you say you have done before) hoping to enlarge the
bushing hole by shaving off some of the inside material as it went
through.  My hope was to then remove it and attach it to my upgraded
shift link on the car. However, it wedged in so tight I could not even
turn the kit around the shaft with my bare hands.  It took nearly one
hour and destruction of the stock shift link to get it off. Nearly 3/4
the way out , the bushing inside chipped out.  The only way I could
ever get it on the car would be to take the entire shift link off the
car and and use a hammer to tap it into the bushing, but this would
involve removing the drive shaft which I cannot do myself. I still
believe this is an excellent design and better alternative than
changing the entire rod & link. Believe me, I do understand your
insistence that the coupling needs to be very, very snug. The last
thing that anyone wants is a loose, poorly responsive shifter; but itŐs
so tight to wedge the link into the bushing that I cannot get it in
from under the car. The other bushings (nylon-stock, silicon
bronze-upgrade) seem to go on easily without any play. Please
understand my predicament.
You help is greatly appreciated and I look forward to using you product
soon.
Sincerely,

Scott H. Hung, M.D.
Scott H.